Plains camp backs onto the confluence of the Mutlumuvi and Tswiriri rivers. It is named after the Timbitene Plain which stretches out in front of the camp. The rivers behind the camp are usually both dry, but can flow quite strongly when heavy localized rain falls.
Home of Rhino Walking Safaris
An exclusive safari experience, Rhino Walking Safari’s base camp is comprised of four luxury tents overlooking the plain, where a variety of general game as well as predators can be spotted. The Timbitene waterhole at the end of the plain is a popular elephant drinking place.
from Plains Camp
For something completely different and a totally unrivalled wilderness experience, guests are able to walk from Plains Camp to our Sleep outs. These are 4m high elevated wooden platforms with tents on the top level where guests will be able to literally sleep out under the stars!
This is the only place in Kruger National Park offering this unusual accommodation. Read More >>
Four comfortably furnished African explorer style tents, en suite with hot running water and all the comforts of home with the African Wilderness on your doorstep. A generator and a back-up battery system power overhead fans and 24 hour lighting. The generator system can be used to re-charge camera batteries at specific times.
- 4 twin tents / 8 bedded camp
- All rooms feature twin beds
- Overhead fans in all tents
- En suite shower & toilet
- Beds do not have individual mosquito nets, but all tent openings are protected by gauze flaps
A triple can only be made up if two tents are booked, with no more than four people occupying the two tents altogether as safety precautions limit the maximum number of people in the lodge and on walks to eight.
- Plunge pool
- Communal Lounge & Dining Area with outside fireplace
- Active waterhole
- Wilderness trails are subject to a minimum of 2 night stay at Plains Camp
- Guests start and end point of the trail is at Rhino Post Safaris Lodge.
- Guests are to please meet at Rhino Post Safari Lodge between 12:30pm & 14:00pm.
- Guests are then transferred to Plains Camp at 14:00pm on the day the trail commences at Plains Camp.
- Please note that because of the remoteness of the area and so as not to disrupt other guests, guests arriving after 14h00 will be transferred through to Plains Camp as soon as a vehicle becomes available. We cannot guarantee that this will be in time for the afternoon activity.
- Guests arriving after 2pm may be transferred to Plains Camp as late as 20:30pm
- Check out is at 11am.
- Guests will return to Rhino Post at approximately between 11h00 – 12h00 on the last day from Plains Camp. Please ensure that travel times to and from Plains Camp are taken into account when making your travel arrangements.
- Note that the transfer to Rhino Post for check out takes place from Plains Camp after the morning activity and brunch. Should an earlier transfer be required, there will be an additional charge.
We regret that it is not possible for us to accommodate children under the age of 12 years old at Plains camp, Sleep Outs, or on walking safaris as the Kruger Park regulations do not allow children under 12 on a trail.